Astoria, twice

The time came for some easy sewing and I finally made the pullover everyone and their uncle already made a while ago: the Astoria from Seamwork.

astoria1-collage
First Astoria: in mid-weight ponte, pretty tight-fitting but fine for layering, thank the sewing gods. Curious about the skirt? Read on.

I downloaded the PDF in January according to the timestamp on the printout. I taped it and cut out my size some two months later. And that’s where I left it till now.

Why? Because I wanted to pre-emptively troubleshoot any armhole fitting problems and I don’t typically muslin with knits because I don’t keep any “throwaway” knit fabric. And while I like and wear my Mesa dress (another Seamwork pattern), if I could time travel, I would go back and raise the armhole.

So that’s what I did: I raised the armhole by around 2 cm and added my usual forward shoulder adjustment. That’s right: on the pattern everyone seems to use as is, mostly happy with that “straight out of the package” result, I felt I needed adjustments and I was right. That’s my pattern review in a nutshell.

My first version, made up in a charcoal ponte from Joann, came out pretty snug but luckily still allows for layering. In the photos above, I’m wearing it over a short-sleeve tee.

This weekend I made another one.

astoria2-twophotos

This one I made up in jersey that was an impulse purchase during a sale on Craftsy. I had the impression that the tie-dye was less stripey but the pattern is stripes printed, sadly, slightly off grain. For a moment I was toying with the idea of a dress but I think the stripes would have looked too intense and, ultimately, overwhelming.

I really like the length of this pullover. Finally something I can comfortably wear with high-waisted skirts! That was definitely a wardrobe gap. Most of my sweaters work with lower-waisted RTW pants but not skirts.

twoastorias

I made these two skirts about a year ago. I wore them a lot but I don’t think they ever made it onto the blog.

The red plaid skirt is the Delphine skirt from Tilly Walnes’ Love at First Stitch with added slash pockets. The fabric is a soft flannel from that year’s plaid flannel collection at Joann.

The tan skirt was made from a corduroy remnant — one of my lucky thrift-shopping finds. The pattern is a de-scalloped Meringue skirt from The Colette Sewing Handbook. Both skirts are lined.

Final throughts: I need more lined skirts for the cold months; my armhole depth obsession has its advantages.

What have you been sewing?

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Astoria, twice

        1. I have the same problem. In addition, I fall back on my safe colors a lot, so now I have lots of black and navy, and not much of a clue where to go from there. It’s probably time to do the dreaded work of figuring out some sort of color palette…

          Like

  1. I love the fit of your Astorias! I just made one myself and it’s wearable, but too boxy – I probably need to size down at the waist next time. I also love the plaid skirt, very pretty!

    Like

    1. Thanks so much, Amy. I’d like to make at least one more Astoria. And as for the fit and flare silhouette, I’m currently in the depths of the muslin mines, trying to fit a new dress.

      PS: Just popped over to your blog. I love that black knit dress! Need to read more!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s